[Campus-columbia-staff] odds and ends

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 19:04:58 UTC 2014

Hi Nate,

Just wanted to touch base with you, since we’re getting close to the
event.  I have a number of odds and ends to confirm with you.  Can you
respond to each item, even if it’s just with an “ok” or “acknowledged”?
Thanks!

#1 - Student sign-ups:  Is everything taken care of here, in terms of
sending confirmation emails to students?  What % of students have responded
with an RSVP?  I’d love to be able to invite the students on the waitlist
to come.

#2 - Mentors:  We’ve got three professionals coming in to the event.  I’m
honestly quite disheartened that we weren’t able to get any professors!
Are there any students affiliated with ADI who might want to be student
mentors, and help attendees contribute to ADI’s projects?  I contacted
James Wen and Evan Tarrh just now, who seemed like good bets given their
going to keep looking for people, and will likely get a couple more, but it
would be good to have some people as mentors who are already part of the
Columbia community, as that makes it easier for students to become
involved.  Once we’ve got these firmed up (hopefully with 24 hours) I’ll
make a plan for who is doing/leading what throughout the event.

#3 - Did you want OpenHatch stickers at your event?  If so, give me an
address to send them to by the end of the work day today, and we should be
able to overnight them to you.

#4 - Photography: will there be anyone able to take a few photographs of
the event?  In the worst case scenario, snapping a few cell phone photos
would be great.  We put a summary of each event up on campus.openhatch.org
and we need at least one picture to accompany it.  :)

#5 - Sticky notes: We use the sticky note method for keeping track of who
gets stuck.  You can read more about it here: <
http://software-carpentry.org/workshops/operations.html#feedback>.  Can you
make sure to pick these up before the event?  The sticky notes can also be
used for feedback.  If you can ask students to write one thing they liked
about the event and one thing that could be improved, as they leave, that’s
a easy way for us to learn about what works and what doesn’t.

#6 - Food:  Is this all handled on your end?  If I recall, you’re covering
the cost of breakfast and we’re covering lunch.  Is it okay if you order
and we reimburse you?  How do you want to do this?

#7 - Sign in sheets & extension cords: We recommend having them at the
event!  Let me know if this is a problem for you.

#8 - Because we’re running 5 events on Saturday, #openhatch will get pretty
crowded.  We strongly, strongly recommend introducing students to two
channels - #openhatch, so they can interact with the larger community, and
#openhatch-columbia (a temporary channel) so that they don’t get lost in
the noise.  We’ll be keeping track of irc channels here:
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/openhatch-irc-channels

#9 - Contact info: my phone # is 240-483-3555 in case that’s somehow
useful.  Feel free to call or text on the day of if you need to - I’ll also
be around via email and on Freenode as “shauna”.  Can you give me your
contact info as well?  (Or, if someone else is leading the event the
day-of, their info.)

Okay, I think that’s it!

Looking forward to Saturday!  :)

Shauna