[Campus-columbia-staff] logistics for open source event

Kathy Sun kathyxunsun at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 04:29:45 UTC 2013

Hello Shauna!

I'm sorry - I wasn't aware you wanted a significant number of non-cs
attendees. The CS lounge probably isn't a good fit then.

I cannot guarantee we'll have a person to let people in dozens of times
during the event. We're happy to help host this event because we think that
open source is really important but that weekend is the weekend before the
last day of class (i.e finals, comp exams, and final projects due) for much
of the board and I can't guarantee someone will be willing to commit to
that degree. The CS lounge is also a popular study spot for Columbia
students and it's suboptimal to book the space for an event that's not
primarily CS, especially during such a crucial weekend.

*On an important side note,* I wasn't part of the conversation where the
date was chosen but it'll be suboptimal. As mentioned above, that's the
weekend before the last day of class. Some professors have finals then and
many students will have final projects due.

*Since the CS lounge is likely out, the most reasonable indoor options are:*
*Lerner Student Center:* Various rooms of various sizes. Columbians can
swipe into the building and you can put non-Columbia affiliates on a guest
list. Unfortunately, WiCS can't book space there. You can ask other student
groups to book Lerner on weekends for you though. I'm not sure about this
but you might be able to book classrooms too. I don't know much about what
the conditions are for that though.
*Davis Auditorium: I*t's auditorium that sits 200 but no food or drinks
allowed and the outlet situation isn't nice. There's an area outside the
auditorium that has benches and allows food though. It requires the swipe
access on weekends (CS and certain other majors that work in the building)
but it has glass-doors so you can see who's waiting to be let in. Because
it's the weekend, you might need pay for the space -  It was just a couple
hundred last time I needed to book it for an event but I'm not sure if that
was just for the hour or it's a lump fee for use of the space.

I'll ask others on the board for input and follow up with you.

Thanks,

Kathy