[Campus-boston-summer-staff] next steps for the event!

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 02:59:34 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Here are the next steps towards making the June 22nd event as amazing as
possible.

*1)  Publicity!*

The website should be ready (http://boston-summer.openhatch.org/) although
feel free to give it another look over and request additional changes.

We should start sending out emails to relevant lists.  Places to email
include:

- CS departments at NEU, BU, and other schools
- CS clubs and organizations at NEU, BU, and other schools
- non-CS departments/clubs/organizations at NEU, BU and other schools

We (Asheesh and I) will take care of all of the "other schools" publicity,
but if Ali or Molly (or another NEU person) could handle emailing NEU CS
departments and clubs, and Christopher (or another BU person) could handle
emailing BU CS departments and clubs, that would be fantastic.  If you
can't, let us know and we'll do it.  It just seems better to have a student
at the school taking point.

When you send publicity emails, please add some basic information to this
spreadsheet so we can keep track of what's been done:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoHP1ey91UqPdEhXQVcwdXI3NHlfUTF6WncxQkpBV1E&usp=sharing

And here is a template email to send out:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UketlMiGRnG4nBunliDZ-bbIKyReUUXr8EHUdFZxyNs/edit

re: non-CS stuff.  We have more carefully tailored emails for reaching out
to science departments and such.  If you're interested in using those, let
me know, but usually Asheesh and I take care of that.  (Recruiting
scientists to free software is a special passion of mine!)

It would be great to get the first wave of emails out by the end of the
week!

*2)  Food*

When we last left off, Asheesh and I were working towards getting a Red Hat
staffer in attendance, which would get us $200 towards food (as I
understand it).  If we successfully get 35-45 people between staff and
attendees, it would be better to have a slightly larger food budget.  Ali,
did you have a sense of whether we can get a bit more funding for this from
NEU?

Let me know if you have any questions!
- Shauna