[Campus-boston-summer-staff] hi everyone!

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 22:33:18 UTC 2013

Sorry for the delay!  Of course you can get some more info.  :)

The basic purpose of the day is to introduce people to open source and how
it works.  We do a number of introductory presentations - on using the
command line, if needed; on version control and using github; and on other
open source tools such as bug trackers, IRC, mailing lists.  We also do a
career panel to show attendees what the possibilities are for open source
as a career and source of income.  If we have time, we do a history/ethics
of open source presentation to get them thinking about the principles of
free software.

Then in the last part of the day, we let attendees loose on a curated
selection of bugs/issues from a variety of open source projects.  Attendees
attempt (sometimes successfully, sometimes not) to make their first
contributions, with the help of volunteer staff who work with them to
overcome obstacles.

Events are ideally 25-35 people, depending on space and number of staff and
of course student interest.

Is there more you'd like to know?  I'm happy to answer questions.

I'm going to send out an email tomorrow outlining our next steps for
running the June event.  :)

- Shauna