[WMF-outreach-staff] Report-back from Tuesday, and action items (and request for comment)

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 04:04:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to bed momentarily, but would be definitely interested in
> hearing your thoughts on Tuesday (and the impending Wednesday). Thanks for
> working together and being a great team -- mega thanks to Greg for being so
> helpful as a Talkmeister and with arranging some extra talks for Wednesday.
>
> Things that seemed to go well:

Good to hear and sorry I didn't get back to the venue in the afternoon.  I
got stuck at the DC Library, getting braille programs and ran into a
Wikipedian there :)

> * Mike reports many people were quite happy with how inclusive the day felt

Good.

> * I did see a few people volunteer as helpers
>
> Things to do differently:
>
> * Mention breakfast food during the opening ceremonies
>
> * Get more talkmeisters to volunteer earlier on
>
> * Encourage the newbies to sign-in so we can get them the exit survey
>
> * Encourage everyone to write about themselves in the "Interested" section
> of the wiki page
>
> * Find out if people want to do tech tasks before sending them down the
> laptop setup world (although hopefully many today can do even more because
> they did do laptop setup)
>
> Things that were sub-optimal that I don't know what to do about:
>
> * wi-fi: ??

I'm not exactly sure what the issue was but have heard about this.  I hope
it's something they can solve for tomorrow.

As a contingency, I have a Clear 4G wifi spot that I will bring (and can
buy additional ones).

Cheers,
Katie

> Other things I did tonight:
>
> * Email all the Wed speakers with info and their scheduled time
>
> * Email Yaron Koren with feedback on his talk's proposed slides
>
> That's all from me for now. Thanks all for being so helpful!
>
> -- Asheesh.

Katie Filbert
Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
filbertk at gmail.com
@filbertkm / @wikimediadc