[WMF-outreach-staff] Who wants to run a Git/Gerrit tutorial?

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Sat Jul 7 02:10:54 UTC 2012

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012, Chad Horohoe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd be more than happy to handle this (and in fact, I had originally
> written a talk proposal to do so).

Great! Chad, can you look at the Tutorial, and come up with an idea of how
long it would take?

Are there topics that you think could be improved from last time?

Also, are there individual laptop setup steps that we can optimize? For
example, are there elements of "Setting up Git" that people should do
before the tutorial?

> Couple of replies inline:
>
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
>> - People who have extensions that they maintain in svn or on the wiki should
>> move them into Git/Gerrit
>>

> Converting extensions from SVN->Git isn't really a process that can
> be done quickly or that a new Gerrit user would be empowered to do
> --the conversion requires shell access and I've been doing them all so
> far. Creating new repos for new extensions (or extensions coming from
> Github/on-wiki) should be doable--that doesn't take nearly as long.

Aww, okay. (Is this a process you can improve?)

Extensions coming from Github/on-wiki... those could be good.

In general, for extensions that come from on the wiki, presumably only the
original author should be the one to import them? Or instead should people
feel empowered to move extensions even if they're not the original author?
(assuming licensing is clear)

>> - Doing code review for others' extensions and/or MediaWiki changes
>>

> I think maybe Roan could walk people through the CR process
> once we've gotten them on Gerrit, if he's willing :)

Yes!!

>> (if you can think of other things that suddenly people have the capacity to
>> do, once they understand Git/Gerrit, that'd be awesome.)
>>

> Maybe a "How do I?" session after the tutorial is over? There's bound
> to be lots of questions of that nature.

That sounds great. (Did you folks do that in Berlin? What was the Q&A
duration like?)

-- Asheesh.