[WMF-outreach-staff] Who wants to run a Git/Gerrit tutorial?

Roan Kattouw roan.kattouw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 03:37:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Asheesh Laroia <lists at asheesh.org> wrote:
> Also, are there individual laptop setup steps that we can optimize? For
> example, are there elements of "Setting up Git" that people should do before
> the tutorial?

Sumana (who is on the mailing list I presume) reached out to
participants prior to the tutorial to make sure they'd all applied for
a Gerrit account, and encouraged them to clone the repository (it's a
100 MB clone, you don't want everyone to do that at the same time on
the conference wifi), and at least try to install git-review.

For the actual tutorial, they used one of the test/example
repositories (she or Patrick will be able to tell you which one, or
you can look at the logs for that day) which is much much smaller than
the MW core repo and therefore doesn't take much time and bandwidth to
clone.

>>> - Doing code review for others' extensions and/or MediaWiki changes
>>>

>> I think maybe Roan could walk people through the CR process
>> once we've gotten them on Gerrit, if he's willing :)
>

> Yes!!

I would be happy to, but could you clarify what you mean by "walk
people through the CR process"?

>> Maybe a "How do I?" session after the tutorial is over? There's bound
>> to be lots of questions of that nature.
>

> That sounds great. (Did you folks do that in Berlin? What was the Q&A
> duration like?)

Sounds like a good idea. Re Berlin, I don't know; Chad wasn't in
Berlin, and I wasn't able to attend any of the git tutorials because I
was giving other tutorials the whole time.

Roan