[WMF-outreach-staff] Who wants to run a Git/Gerrit tutorial?

Chad Horohoe chorohoe at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 6 19:28:02 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'd be more than happy to handle this (and in fact, I had originally written
a talk proposal to do so). Couple of replies inline:

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
> - People who have extensions that they maintain in svn or on the wiki should
> move them into Git/Gerrit

Converting extensions from SVN->Git isn't really a process that can
be done quickly or that a new Gerrit user would be empowered to do
--the conversion requires shell access and I've been doing them all so
far. Creating new repos for new extensions (or extensions coming from
Github/on-wiki) should be doable--that doesn't take nearly as long.

> - Doing code review for others' extensions and/or MediaWiki changes

I think maybe Roan could walk people through the CR process
once we've gotten them on Gerrit, if he's willing :)

> (if you can think of other things that suddenly people have the capacity to
> do, once they understand Git/Gerrit, that'd be awesome.)

Maybe a "How do I?" session after the tutorial is over? There's bound
to be lots of questions of that nature.

-Chad