[WMF-outreach-staff] Tutorial session on templates

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Jul 5 00:23:22 UTC 2012

People in the survey seem quite interested in learning more about
templates.

I think there are a lot of people who are generally quite confused about
templates within MediaWiki.

Given that, I'd love to see a tutorial on templates.

We could run it on a labs wiki, so people can edit the templates
willy-nilly. It might be fun to do it on a clone of enwiki or commons so
that people can be taught exactly how a handful of very real templates
really work.

We'll need:

* A labs wiki for this (I can request that)

* Someone to create a curriculum for it (I can try to do this, but I'd
prefer to work with someone within the Wikimedia community for this; I can
look through the existing attendees and see if any of them would
volunteer)

* Someone to teach it (preferably the same person as above)

Any tips for who that could be? I rely on y'all's recommendations, or else
I'll just pick someone but really I'd love recommendations for who's a
good, respectful teacher who slows down as needed. Curriculum planning I
can work with them on, so that's not the skill most needed.

Perhaps someone involved in Wikidata, if they're a good teacher. Brandon
Harris is a possibly good person, though I'd have to see if he's
available.

We'd also want a group of TAs (teaching assistants) that can roam around
and answer questions. It's easier to get good TAs than a good main
instructor, but it does require training them, too.

Is there a pool of work related to templates that we can ask our
newly-trained template experts to work on? It'd be great if, through their
learning, there were something meaningful they could do for the projects.
That could be on enwiki stuff, or Wikidata stuff, or GLAM stuff, or OSM
stuff, or anything really.

-- Asheesh.