[WMF-outreach-staff] "Pools of work" for translation

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Jul 5 00:40:30 UTC 2012

We have a whole bunch of people who can read/write a language other than
English -- about half of our >90 responders say they can do that.

I'd love to give them an activity to do with that skill.

What are the high-priority things that those people can do? For example:

* Translating MediaWiki

* Translating extensions

* Making extensions support having their strings be translated (which
extensions are high-priority here?), and then translating them

Given a few options here, I can evaluate what makes sense, and write up
some good docs for that sort of activity, and hopefully identify helpers,
too.

I'm particularly interested in what the community would value the most, as
we probably would only have 20-50 volunteer-hours to spend on this task.
(Just a guess based on how many people there are, and how much time there
is.)

I have a few thoughts here, but wanted to hear more from others before
crafting an "activity" out of them:

* http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:OpenStreetMap

* http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:MediaWiki

* (the MediaWiki extensions component of the above)

This is a pretty non-technical activity, and doesn't necessarily require a
lecture. If we document this heavily (anyone have links to current docs?)
on a wiki page, we could just make it one of the things that, when you
arrive at the hackathon, we ask you if you're interested in doing; if so,
we send you to the web page, and maybe ask you to sit down at a table
where there are helpers who know how to help with localization work.

-- Asheesh.