[WMF-outreach-staff] Expert track vs. Beginner track

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Jun 22 23:00:30 UTC 2012

Hey all,

Sumana, you mentioned having an expert track, and a separate beginner
track. If you end up organizing the expert track separately, that's
probably fine, but I want to be as up-to-date as possible on what you end
up planning. I think there'll probably be some overlap, so I want to
maximize how both groups can benefit from each other.

Some particular things I imagine might happen:

* Some experts will serve as mentors for newcomers who are learning
things, which does mean taking them away from extreme hacking on their
own.

* Some of the tutorials etc. that we organize for "beginners" might be
useful for "experts" who just have different subsets of knowledge.

The structure I'm hoping for is that we can focus more on hands-on
learning, with people supporting each other, so that people get through
making one or more real contributions to gadgets/code/puppet/etc, rather
than focusing on tutorials, but it's likely some tutorials will be helpful
to have.

-- Asheesh.