[WFS-India] Our differences and possible course of action

Satabdi Das satabdidas at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 15:44:36 UTC 2013

> Basically the scope of this group is very restricted relative my views.
>
> You are free to have any opinion about this group as a member and you are
welcome to create a broader scope in your new group.

> I can definitely continue helping with various activities and present
> admin/mailing list tasks.

I think whosoever becomes an admin of a group should be aligned with the
ethos and thoughts of a group. But the earlier discussions showed that you
and others (disclaimer: including me) have irreconcilable differences in
ideas and attitudes. By this, I do not mean that everyone in this group has
to agree on every single point but a debate should give rise to something
constructive and a member, specially so for an admin, should appreciate
others' point of views. I would like an admin in this group as  a catalyst
not an imposer of opinions.

I would also like to mention here that you misused your admin power in the
website to write something in the poster competition event page which shows
this group in bad light. You might have thought what you wrote is correct
but many others in this group do not think so. And we need to avoid
precisely this sort of things.

I argue relentlessly does not mean that I am uncooperative.

You need to understand that this group is unlike other well-established
FOSS groups. I created this group because I wanted to reach out to new
people who do not know anything about FOSS. I created this group so that
all the myth surrounded around FOSS that it's only for geeks or one has to
be an expert in computer etc get busted.

Your "relentless arguing" on mailing list guidelines or the initial text of
poster competition are all counter-productive to that aim. Had I been a
newcomer to this group and totally new to FOSS, I would have surely fled
away and instead join a group which does something constructive to kindle
my interest in FOSS.

As a founder of this group, I would like to see emails from newbies who
join this group. I would like to hear about what ideas or suggestions they
have to improve the activities of this group instead of debates on how
strict we can make our mailing list guidelines to "teach" new people
mailing list etiquette.

I do not want to stretch this thread into a long one and I would like to
spend my time on much more fruitful things.

Keeping in mind this group's interest, I am giving you time till one week
to step down from the admin post of this group. You may remain an moderator
if you wish to help with the management of the mailing list activities as
you said in your email. I do not want any bitterness to spill over in this
mailing list. Hence please cooperate.

Thanks,
Satabdi