[WFS-India] Suggestion for re-modelling of the mailing list rules

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 15:23:10 UTC 2013

Combined Reply:

0. We are keeping all discussions open.

So women's issues will definitely and have got into our discussions all through.
In fact many of our IRC logs and previous ones are full of that.
Am I the only one taking initiative?
No. Yes I do have more radical plans in extending FOSS to new networks
of people.

Are others participating in the debates?

Definitely. Just because I am more competent in the subjects does not
make myself the sole participant.
I am vocal because I have ideas. I do interact with other non s/w
groups on these and have had a role in reforming parts of the media.

But, when it comes to mailing lists, we are talking about what we can
discuss not plans. It should be in accordance with our mission and
goals.

So the bounds should be set accordingly.
It would be a tragedy if it is otherwise, because the quality of space
for women's issues in the country is too bad.

Where is the problem with "women's issues will be part of the discussions"?

Also we need to be "welcoming" to all esp our target group as per other posters.

IDG's "discussions will be restricted to FOSS only" contradicts our
mission and goals.

1. Illegal activity point in guidelines:

Indranil is hopeless on this point. It is no restriction on members.
The underlying reasoning is  "better safe than sorry".
People do like to exchange proprietary applications with EULAs and
that too through mailing lists.
Happened at glug-cal google group.

2. Bigotry point.

we know of the *Mike* issue at linuxchix.
"Open and welcoming" can be understood as "open and welcoming to
bigotry" by some.
We have no dearth of such people in our country.
Kaustav got this part right..

I think few people are creating problems by not understanding the
issues and shouting needlessly with the intent of making wfs-india a
toothless group for having "fun".

Best

A. Mani

--