[WFS-India] feedback on using the word "M$"

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 14:36:33 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Satabdi Das <satabdidas at gmail.com> wrote:

>> A. The obvious problem is if we say free s/w runs in M$ os, then
>> newbie may never move to GNU/Linux.
>> There are examples of people never bothering to understand despite
>> sitting in the free s/w movement.
>>
> True. There is a possibility that they might never move to FOSS. But I fail
> to see how our forcing them to submit their posters made in FOSS will make
> them switch to FOSS. If someone is using an OS, it takes time and support
> from others to migrate to another OS.
>
> I am not sure if using derogatory signs for MS will win us people. Through
> the poster competition we are trying to get people warm to FOSS alternatives
> even if they are run on MS Windows. If they like the FOSS alternative, then
> we can try to get those people convert to using a FOSS OS. Making the
> criteria of FOSS tools run on open source OS will only get people already
> using open source OS. I am not sure if people will switch to a new OS just
> for the sake of participating in a poster competition.

We teach this way: concept formation, concept application and concept
maturation.
You are not understanding the nature of concept formation.
The first step is awareness.
The concept exists.
The concept can be useful.
.... it goes on.

There is a huge difference between a person  who says "I have never
heard of GIMP" and
one who says "I have used GIMP". The latter type of person is more
likely to move to a GNU/Linux distro.

I have converted a number of M$ OS users to Ubuntu/ Fedora by
stressing mainly on TeXLive. A single tool can motivate migration of
individual users too.

Saying nothing about 'M$' makes sense for corporates who want to be
bought by them. Not for others.

>> B. M$ can say that the free s/w runs in their OS and so their OS gets
>> weight in an adoption scenario.  This is very dangerous.
>> We should take care to denigrate the performance, usability, etc of
>> s/w in M$ os in this scenario and also make it it a point to mention
>> it to newbies.
>>
> I support what Aruna has said and I would strongly suggest that we maintain
> a respectful and friendly attitude it in our online communication.
>
> And even though we try out "confrontational and provocative" mode of
> engagement, simply ranting against MS won't do us any good.

You are missing the point.
This is not about ranting. This is about responsible teaching.
'respectful' != 'sweeping all the issues under carpet' as you are
trying above (It is not very different from lying).

I am saying that all events for newbies should have clear links to
FOSS resources including FOSS philosophy.

If you won't even give a clue then how on earth will your newbie divine things?

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani