[WFS-India] feedback on using the word "M$"

Satabdi Das satabdidas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 11:10:47 UTC 2013

> A. The obvious problem is if we say free s/w runs in M$ os, then
> newbie may never move to GNU/Linux.
> There are examples of people never bothering to understand despite
> sitting in the free s/w movement.
>
> True. There is a possibility that they might never move to FOSS. But I
fail to see how our forcing them to submit their posters made in FOSS will
make them switch to FOSS. If someone is using an OS, it takes time and
support from others to migrate to another OS.

I am not sure if using derogatory signs for MS will win us people. Through
the poster competition we are trying to get people warm to FOSS
alternatives even if they are run on MS Windows. If they like the FOSS
alternative, then we can try to get those people convert to using a FOSS
OS. Making the criteria of FOSS tools run on open source OS will only get
people already using open source OS. I am not sure if people will switch to
a new OS just for the sake of participating in a poster competition.

B. M$ can say that the free s/w runs in their OS and so their OS gets
> weight in an adoption scenario.  This is very dangerous.
> We should take care to denigrate the performance, usability, etc of
> s/w in M$ os in this scenario and also make it it a point to mention
> it to newbies.
>
> I support what Aruna has said and I would strongly suggest that we
maintain a respectful and friendly attitude it in our online communication.

And even though we try out "confrontational and provocative" mode of
engagement, simply ranting against MS won't do us any good.

Satabdi
--
Whatever you do may seem insignificant to you, but it is most important
that you do it <http://bangalore.aidindia.org/>.