[WFS-India] feedback on using the word "M$"

Satabdi Das satabdidas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 13:03:08 UTC 2013

> It is too vague.
> We will use use many techniques to force the pace ... but that is
> about local strategies.
> Positive does not mean 'sweep all the problems under the carpet as the
> right-wing media does'.

Mani,

If you feel we are trying to "sweep all the problems under the carpet",
please point out where we are doing it. Otherwise simply throwing terms
like "right-wing media strategy" or "corporate speak" doesn't help.

I liked the positive (I know I am being repetitive on this) atmosphere
provided to the Gnome OPW interns during my internship and you can see it
in the blogs of other interns too. We contributed to our projects, we
helped each other, we met regularly in the irc channel, we were encouraged
to learn new things and we became more involved with FOSS. That to me was a
beautiful experience and it is that experience which I wanted to share with
other women who are yet to join FOSS. And I do not recall there was any
topic on "teaching" women the vices of MS and the virtues of
Open-source  in any of the meetings. In fact there was not much teaching
actually. My mentor helped me a lot and that's how I learnt quite a few
things.

Direct confrontation of problems invariably
> attracts attention.  Newbies need motivation and people who do not
> seem to be confronting problems would be seen in bad light.

I think we have  different opinions on how to motivate people. I personally
get motivated from doers, by awesome ideas, amazing software and other many
constructive things. Hence in my opinion, we need to show better
alternatives.

I am not against provocative and confrontational approach as a marketing
strategy. But IMHO, what you wrote in your first email is not going to sell
FOSS to newbies. The Apple 1984 ad (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zfqw8nhUwA) is a great confrontational
statement, in my opinion.

Satabdi

--
Whatever you do may seem insignificant to you, but it is most important
that you do it <http://bangalore.aidindia.org/>.