[WFS-India] feedback on using the word "M$"

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 14 05:40:39 UTC 2013

On 06/13/2013 10:21 PM, A. Mani wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Sumana Harihareswara
> <sumanah at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> Yeah, this all sounds reasonable to me.
>

> It is too vague.
> We will use use many techniques to force the pace ... but that is
> about local strategies.
> Positive does not mean 'sweep all the problems under the carpet as the
> right-wing media does'. Direct confrontation of problems invariably
> attracts attention.  Newbies need motivation and people who do not
> seem to be confronting problems would be seen in bad light. 'M$'
> provokes people ... that is good minimalist communication. If posters
> are as flat as a pancake then people will not bother. Corporate
> sponsored FOSS has its problems of vanishing discourse.
> Anyway Satabdi's mail is off target.
>

> Please comment on my guidelines in my last reply in this thread.
>

> Best
>
> A. Mani
>

> --
> A. Mani
> CU, ASL, AMS, CLC, CMS
> http://www.logicamani.in
>
>  -- WFS-India - http://www.wfs-india.org

I believe the main choice here is between two main modes of engagement:

* respectful and friendly
* confrontational and provocative

My personal values, as well as my experience, lead me to prefer the
former.  A. Mani is suggesting that we should choose what is *effective*
and that the latter course is more likely to be effective.  Could we do
an A/B test to check who has data on their side? :)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager