[WFS-India] Diaspora - the open-source equivalent of Facebook

Nitesh A Jain niteshjain92 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 12:37:19 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Balasankar Chelamattath" <c.balasankar at gmail.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2013 18:02
Subject: [Fsmk-discuss] Save Poddery Campaign - A quest for us to take
control of our communications through Diaspora
To: "Free Software Movement of Kerala" <fsmk-discuss at lists.fsmk.in>, "ILUG
"ILUG - Linux Delhi" <ilugd at lists.linux-delhi.org>, "FOSSCOM" <
network at lists.fosscom.in>

Hi,

In the recent days all of you would have heard how companies like
facebook, google, yahoo, microsoft and apple are spying on its users
and reporting them to US government. It is time we stand up for our
right to privacy and build our own communications infrastructure. Many
of you would already know about the diaspora project and some of you
are already using it, many of you have just created an account and
expecting your friends who may not care about privacy and freedom will
become active first before you start using it.

*Diaspora* is decentralized, meaning there is no one diaspora provider
like facebook.com or plus.google.com or twitter.com. It is like the
internet and email itself, many different websites all interconnected
(gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc for email). There are services like
joindiaspora.com, diasp.org and poddery.com all run by people who care
about privacy of users and are willing to put their efforts where
their mouth are. You can see a list of diaspora services at
http://podupti.me. You just need to sign up at one place and you can
connect with users of any other diaspora service or even people
running other software like friendica. Else, you can also get yourself a
server and start a pod.

*poddery.com* is one such diaspora service provider and Joe Bivins from
Florida has been running it for about 31 months and he cannot continue
running it for some personal reasons. Some of us in the diaspora and
free software communities are standing up to continue running it. We
are collecting funds from people around the world to buy server
hosting and run the service ourselves. You can find more details about
the campaign at *http://savepoddery.com* <http://savepoddery.com>

All of you can contribute and we need everyone who care about privacy
and freedom to join this campaign today to take control of our
communications from big companies whose only motive is to make money
out of what we share and big governments who wants to control us so
they can enjoy more and more power.

We need *1600 Euros* (our government does not allow any paypal account
holders to accept money from outside and our friend Joe Schraube from
Germany is accepting money on our behalf) and we already raised around
*266 Euros* in 3 days of the campaign.

Please contribute whatever you can afford, 1 rupee, 10 rupee, 100
rupees, 500 rupees, and help us buy this server space for keeping a
diaspora service up and running for all the people in the world. If
you have a credit card, you may pay at our indiegogo site
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-diaspora-service-at-poddery-com-live/x/509624?c=home
or if you have a internet banking account you can transfer it to
Swathanthra Malayalam Computing's bank account as per details on
http://savepoddery.com/#perks

If not, any one of you can volunteer to collect money and send it as a
DD to any of us or even hand it over directly to any one of us. (For
contact details, reply to this mail.)

It is* your* campaign, join in today to take back your privacy and
freedom. There are other ways to help too if you can't support
financially. You can tell your friends, parents, neighbors, cousins,
classmates, share it on facebook (If you are still reporting
everything you do to US government), twitter etc. Make posters and
paste it on your campus notice boards at FSMK etc.

This is just the beginning, though we made great progress in Free
Software, we have more challenges today like Software patents and
freedom in the cloud. So lets stand together and build a better world
today based on freedom, justice and respect for human rights.

If you have any questions about the campaign or about diaspora feel free to
ask.

Regards,
Balasankar C
Save Poddery Campaign Team (which now includes you too :) )