[WFS-India] Updated: poster competition article

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 03:14:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:33 AM, María Leandro <tatica at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> We had planned all this much earlier.
>> So it is difficult to make modifications that amount to changing focus.
>> It has already been announced in 10+ channels.
>

> It's usually not a problem; I have run events and contests for about 10
> years and there are always changes; people understand that 10% of the time

Will discuss in today's irc meeting #wfs-india  (freenode) at 21:30 hrs IST

>> Your ideas will require another competition. The *positive* aspect
>> that you are expecting, does not exist in the minds of potential
>> participants :-) as we will need to change the topic for having
>> *positive* posters
>

> Then I'm probably not the right judge for this competition, however, I do
> believe that a positive aspect is what keeps us in the path of success and
> that's why I try to push into all the females that I have take into the
> community; including myself.

We will discuss the way to judge participants in a separate off-list
thread with the other two panelists.
Welcome to a new experience.

Empowerment and other positive aspects are not being tossed out. We
are not expecting all panelists to provide ratings on every parameter
and I know that you can handle technical aspects well.

>> Our goal is to get more "not necessarily foss aware people" in.
>> The lines are intended to draw attention.... which it does.
>>

> If this is not foss related, then I don't see why do you want foss sponsors,
> this part confuses me

It is FOSS related, because we want new people to get introduced to FOSS tools.
All participants need to use FOSS tools and explain their use in their
work. Those who have used them before will have a sharp advantage over
others. Simple.

Vagueness  helps.

>> No, we have to provide directions on what we are looking for.
>> Otherwise we will get all kinds of posters.
>>

> Openness is what foss do

On one single subtopic people may get ideas like

http://www.gotstared.at/

Best

A. Mani

--