[WFS-India] Notes on poster competition article

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 20:26:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Debamitro Chakraborti
<debamitro at gmail.com> wrote:
> No Mani I think tarashish has a point here. The 'background' section gives
> conclusions not facts. I agree that your conclusions can be backed by
> studies and reports and facts but they are not there.

Fact0: sex education is part of no curriculum in India.
Is this a conclusion?

Fact1: Most of the country is illiterate
NSS statistics are already doctored but still the figures are pathetic.

Fact3: Laws are subhuman

Verma commission (a conservative body) already admitted it and even
the proposals in it have NOT been implemented.

 \quote
Most of the people are brain-washed by the decadent patriarchy that
has merged itself with cultural, religious and business practices at
the cost of basic human values.
\unquote

This is well studied, and is common part of many feminist positions.

> Also, the qualifications for posters are too high. I personally know people
> in the development sector who work in gender and related issues but they are
> barely comfortable with anything outside a small subset of windows
> applications. On the other hand we have a huge number of linux enthusiasts
> who don't have much clue about these issues. I doubt if the intersection of
> these two sets will be sizable.

Fact: Most people know something about the issues due to the media.
Verma commission is a fairly popular word.

Tools:
So what? ... they will use use tux paint/ gimp/ Libre office in M$ windows

I will add "All of these s/w are available in ALL operating systems"

> I suggest:
> 1. If we want good and meaningful posters we allow participants to use any
> application (and keeping the suggestion that foss tools will be preferred)

Not granted.

> 2. If we want posters made strictly using foss tools then we can tone down
> the background.

I know the right wing will want everything toned down....

I am making longer, apparently toned down  .... but not toned down :)

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani