[WFS-India] Notes on poster competition article

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 17:56:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Tarashish Mishra <sunu0000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "Background" section at
> http://www.wfs-india.org/p/poster-competition-womens-and-lgbt-issues seems
> pretty harsh. It *might* be telling the truth, but the way it has been told
> is offensive. I suggest we tone it down a bit.
>
> The aim of WFS-India is to introduce new people into FOSS. And IMHO a
> beginner friendly organisation should feel positive, welcoming and cheerful
> in general. A casual environment is more suited for beginners. But that post
> makes me (and possibly others) feel entirely opposite.
>
> We have also received some feedback on it on the IRC (which is how I came to
> notice it). I'm pasting the log here.
>
> < abadger1999> Any of ya'llhave the ability/decision-making position to
>                      edit:
> http://www.wfs-india.org/p/poster-competition-womens-and-lgbt-issues ?
> < abadger1999> the background section there is a bit harsh (to the point
>                      that it would probably get a reply to "be excellent to
> each
>                      other" if it was on a fedora mailing list)
>
> Hence please consider modifying the text and try to make it more positive.

It is not harsh at all.

It merely states facts and we are trying to reach out to people who
are concerned about social issues.

And there is lot of concern in the media.

Unless we come straight to the point people will not care to take notice.

"excellent to each other" does not mean "to sweep all the problems
under the carpet".

I can convey the same content in a relatively veiled way.

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani