[pydata-outreach-staff] Laptop setup helpers

Vid svaksha at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 20:11:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
>
>> I was wondering who is willing to be there at 9:45am or so and help people
>> set up their computers. (9:30am would be even better.)
>

> Psst, hey all, we could really use the help.
>
> I'll personally promise coffee and light pastries to any volunteers who want
> to help with laptop setup for people. (I think we can make room in our PSF
> grant for it, but if not, I'll cover it or find other sponsorship.)

How sweet, I was going to be there early regardless of the coffee(not
a drinker), hence didnt chime in. So feel free to shout out when ever
you need help with an Ubuntu/Debian box.

I'll be coming in early to check the AV arrangements (yes we have free
video recording that will go up on pyvideo.org ...yippee :)) - Does
anyone have a spare SD card that can hold a few hours worth of raw
unedited video footage? PLEASE bring it with you on Sunday - we'll
need it only to grab the raw footage from the AV folks and transfer it
to someone's laptop. That is all.

> But really it should be OK if you are willing to just listen to people as
> they explain weird things going on, and then ask them if they actually
> followed the directions, and then notice that mostly the problems come up
> from people who didn't follow the directions. (:

Asheesh is right. It is not very hard to help people ..sometimes its
just a case of missing a step. So do volunteer, it'll be fun!

--
Regards,
Vid  ॥ http://svaksha.com