[pydata-outreach-staff] Laptop setup guide, and questions

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Dec 11 22:24:24 UTC 2012

Hi Chang! Thanks for replying.

I wrote a draft of the Windows setup guide for the Pandas tutorial, which
I placed here, before I saw your mail:

https://github.com/paulproteus/PyData-Workshop-Sprint/wiki/windows-install-pandas

If people already have Python installed, presumably they'll not be
thrilled about installing a separate Python distribution from
Enthought/Anaconda. I can see if it's easy to work both into the guide.
I'll mull that over, and maybe try the installers and see how they work in
conjunction with a Python installed from python.org.

You mentioned they're both free of cost; is
http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php the best link for that?

Will your talk use ipython, and do you have bits that you'll ask people to
try on their own machines? If so, then yeah, ipython for the morning does
seem like a priority.

Similarly, can we skip the compilers stuff until the afternoon -- is the
latest released pandas (for which they can install binaries) good enough
for the tutorial?

I definitely want to write the instructions so no Googling is required,
and that everything is pre-tested before-hand. My goal is that setup for
Saturday morning should be simple, and that Saturday afternoon pre-sprint,
post-lunch, it's okay to have some dedicated time to more complex setup
tasks, like creating a Github account (which is why I want to move the
compilers to the afternoon setup, if possible).

Let me know what you think of the above, if you have time! Thanks again
for chiming in, and no prob if you don't; I'll try to make do.

-- Asheesh.