[pydata-outreach-staff] Draft of "punchy" invite

Vid svaksha at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 05:13:34 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
> Suggested text:
>
> <text>
>
> Subject: Learn how to do science with Python, and make the tools better, Sun
> 12/17
>
> On Sunday, Dec 17, newcomers and experienced programmers will be working
> together to teach, learn, and improve data processing tools in Python,
> including graphing/plotting (matplotlib), advanced data structure tools for
> statistics (Pandas), and the enhanced interactive Python shell (IPython).

Asheesh, I hope you have not sent this out as it changes the whole
focus of the event drastically. The point of inviting a single
core-dev for a full-day workshop was to enable folks to focus on the
package they work with, so I personally feel it is quite rude to
suddenly change the focus of the event.
Despite the event being called "PyData" (I was not sure which core-dev
would do a talk at such short notice, hence generic), this event will
be lead by Chang and I would prefer if people came to hack on Pandas
only. I do understand that a generic "hack on any scientific python
toolset" would probably bring in more people, but "showing numbers"
was never my goal when I kick-started the workshop.
I do understand that different people would have different interests
and they are free to fork the event (we are on Github afterall :)) and
hold yet another hack session and I would love to attend it before I
leave NY. But 16Dec is reserved for "Pandas with Chang She" :)
Hope that helps!
Regards,
Vid  ॥ http://svaksha.com