[pydata-outreach-staff] Draft of "punchy" invite

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Dec 9 22:30:38 UTC 2012

Suggested text:

<text>

Subject: Learn how to do science with Python, and make the tools
better, Sun 12/17

On Sunday, Dec 17, newcomers and experienced programmers will be working
together to teach, learn, and improve data processing tools in Python,
including graphing/plotting (matplotlib), advanced data structure tools
for statistics (Pandas), and the enhanced interactive Python shell
(IPython).

This special event is intended to be welcoming to anyone with some Python
programming experience, ranging from no experience with the above tools
all the way up to core contributors. It's free of cost, and you're
invited! Here's how it works:

Morning:

* Meet and greet, and tutorial on PyData and Pandas

Afternoon:

* Lunch, sponsored by the Python Software Foundation

* Group work contributing code to Pandas, mentored by a core Pandas
contributor, Chang She

* Self-paced contribution sprint, where you can help any PyData project by
improving documentation, code, tests, or examples, with mentorship
continously available

It's 10 AM to 5:15 PM. Sign up here:
http://pydata-workshop-sprint.eventbrite.com/

More info here:
https://github.com/svaksha/PyData-Workshop-Sprint/wiki/2012-NYC

If you want to get in touch with the organizers, email:
pydata-outreach-staff at lists.openhatch.org

</text>

My notes on the above text:

* This assumes that it remains OK for people to work on non-pandas pydata
stuff.

* I can't find any resources online that define the "pydata" suite of
tools, so I've avoided using that term, but if someone can find me a
reference I'd be happy to.

* Personally I'm most excited about hacking on ipython! Don't tell Chang.
I do also want to learn more about pandas. (-:

* It's a little longer than 2 paragraphs, once you add in all the bullets.

* It could be a little clearer on the prerequisites. Part of why it's
somewhat vague is I don't know the details of Chang's lecture. Maybe I
should email and ask what the assumed prereqs are, so that we ensure
people have a good experience.

Any other comments? Sorry about the delay; I realize it's not 2 PM, not
even Pacific time (-:.

-- Asheesh.