[OH-Publicity] OpenHatch booth at Scale

Deb Nicholson deb at eximiousproductions.com
Thu Jan 23 22:28:36 UTC 2014

<shaunagm at gmail.com> wrote:

> My hesitation with typing into a spreadsheet is that we'd have to provide
> the computer, which we definitely can't do while the booth is empty

Great point. No one wants to leave a laptop at an unattended table.

and would possibly be a problem even when people are there.  It's also hard
> to get info from multiple people at once that way, though I don't know how
> busy the booth will get.

I'm not super worried about multiple people since most folks will hang
around for the extra minute and we could keep chatting up OH/OSCTC.

> It's annoying to digitize emails and there's a risk of not being able to
> read handwriting, but it might be the better option.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about since I've done the transcribing
more than a few times. However, we could minimize the poor handwriting
problem by giving folks plenty of space to write down their info and/or
providing a few tick boxes for common questions or interests we'd like to
capture. I used to use multiple pieces of letterhead with space for maybe 4
or 5 people's info each, with fairly good success at FSF booths. It sounds
kind of wasteful/not fancy but the huge space encouraged legibility. In the
end, you will most likely be the one following up, so it's totally your
call.
Cheers,
Deb