[OH-Publicity] mainstream publicity, Feb newsletter (was Re: One weird trick to help people get to know our blog content better)

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Sun Feb 23 19:15:46 UTC 2014

Hi all,

htmlpad is back, preview/edit end of month newsletter at
http://htmlpad.org/oh-newsletter-201402/ and
http://htmlpad.org/oh-newsletter-201402/edit

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 12:11 AM, Asheesh Laroia <lists at asheesh.org> wrote:

> I propose that we modify our blog's theme so that when you scroll to the
> end of a blog post, underneath the comment box, you see the next most
> recent blog post in that post's category. That way, people can just keep
> reading and scrolling.

Sure, like medium and many other sites these days. There exist WordPress
plugins to do this, possibly requiring some additions to our nonstandard
theme (wild guess, I haven't looked). I've got nothing against this or any
other micro optimization, except that we should be thinking about macro
optimizations.

AFAICT the mainstream hyping of "everyone should learn to code" has
occurred entirely during OpenHatch's existence, probably entirely during
its existence as a nonprofit. AFAICT OpenHatch has gotten zero recognition
as part of this wave.

Women in CS is now apparently a mainstream story too (which is GREAT). I
noticed a big story is the top story in my local Sunday paper, with a photo
taking up almost all the space above the fold ... no, I haven't read a
paper copy in years, but still notice them in coin dispensed paper boxes
that apparently someone buys from; online version at
http://web.archive.org/web/20140223184749/http://www.insidebayarea.com/oakland-tribune
(this
and others in the draft newsletter).

I'd love to see both OpenHatch and contributing to open source communities
be part of these stories. A couple ideas:
* Part of OSCTC events includes reaching out to local media for
story/interview
* Develop TED-style (yes, I too find these sermons annoying, but they seem
to be effective in various ways) talk, presumably with Shauna and/or Asheesh

I suspect these would also benefit OSCTC events indirectly in terms of
outreach and feeling excitement of participation in an important event, and
in terms of honing presentation/message.

Others on this publicity list probably have better ideas (which might
include telling me above are bad ones), please share.

As an OpenHatch fan/community member only,
Mike