[OH-Publicity] "Release Notes" blog post for Wellesley event

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 16:29:57 UTC 2013

> I'd suggest changing the title to:
>
> "Teaching open source at Wellesley College"
>
> (For context, Shauna and Michael Stone and I talked about how we might
> rework these posts to be more dense and call them "release notes," but it
> seems to me it's sort of a jargon-y term so I'd prefer not to use the
> phrase in the posts, even if we do call them that on the Publicity list,
> say.) I'm not dogmatic, I just want something that feels less like jargon
> than "Release notes". But maybe if we explain the jargon, that'd be okay.

That title is achingly dull to me, but you're right that "Release Notes" is
jargon-y.  I'm torn between advocating that we use the phrase and explain
it, or come up with something else.  Since it's the only thing holding up
the post, I'm going to use your suggestion for this one, and publish the
post.  But I want to continue the discussion!

> I would also chang ethe 'slug' (see the "Permalink" section in the
> WordPress UI away from 'release-notes-wellesley-**462013' to just
> 'wellesley', since shorter URLs are easier to link to.

Done.

> I would change "Bugs" in the middle to something more clearly indicative
> of positive work -- for example, "Contributions made by students" or "What
> students worked on". Perhaps preface that with a sentence like, "During the
> Contributions Workshop, students worked on the following bugs."

Done.

> I made a few simple copy edits, which I'll summarize here:
>
> * In a list, even if it's of teaching events that took place during the
> day, only capitalize the first word.
>
> * "Open Source Comes to Campus Event" => "Open Source Comes to Campus
> event" (only Open Source Comes to Campus is a proper noun)
>
> For the schedule section, since you specially asked, here are some
> suggestions:
>
> * Link to the laptop setup <https://openhatch.org/wiki/**
> Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/**Wellesley/Laptop_setup<https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Wellesley/Laptop_setup>
> >

> Hmm, that's all that comes to mind.
>
> Oh, one other meta-erratum -- I worked through the stuff in
> https://openhatch.org/wiki/**Events/Logistics/Wrap_up<https://openhatch.org/wiki/Events/Logistics/Wrap_up>as part of our wrap-up for the first time, and it worked great, so consider
> saying so.

Done.