[OH-Publicity] Blog post idea we just had in IRC

Mark Holmquist mtraceur at member.fsf.org
Mon Oct 22 14:55:49 UTC 2012

In 2010, Tom Callaway gave a brilliant talk at the SoCal Linux Expo
about why free software projects fail. He was very thorough, and wrote
it all up as a handy list:

http://www.theopensourceway.org/book/The_Open_Source_Way-How_to_tell_if_a_FLOSS_project_is_doomed_to_FAIL.html

So we thought it might be fun to apply the "rules" to OpenHatch! I'm
hoping I can get to this within a week, but if someone else thinks they
can do it faster and/or more effectively, I'm happy to edit or
collaborate. Else, I'll post a draft somewhere.

(now that I re-read some of this, it seems like it might take a lot of
exploring the codebase--maybe something for a budding developer to work
on? maybe too discouraging to task a new developer to find everything
that's wrong with the codebase?)

Thanks all,

--
Mark Holmquist