[OH-Publicity] Open Source Bridge: talk proposals due today

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Fri Mar 16 22:23:08 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Asheesh Laroia's message of Fri Mar 16 17:26:31 -0400 2012:
> Excerpts from Asheesh Laroia's message of Fri Mar 16 17:23:58 -0400 2012:
> > http://opensourcebridge.org/call-for-proposals/
> >
> > This is a really fun, community-driven conference in Portland, Oregon,
> > June 26-29.
> >
> > Proposals are due today. Last year, I gave a talk on the openhatch.org
> > training missions, and participated in a community panel. You can see
> > that, and the other talks I proposed, here:
> > http://opensourcebridge.org/users/810
> >
> > This year, I think it'd be great to have OpenHatchy talks on the following
> > things:
> >
> > * Events like the Boston Python Workshop
> >
> > * Open Source Comes to Campus
> >
> > * Tips on making free software projects good for new contributors (things
> > like "yay bundled dependencies" and "boo Vagrant")
> >
> > I'll get working on the above proposals -- find me on IRC to collaborate.
> >
> > Karen, I'd suggest proposing your PyCon talk on documentation (with Django
> > as an example) for Open Source Bridge, if you haven't already. Open Source
> > Bridge is a webdev-heavy conference, with lots of people interested in
> > newcomers and education, so I think it'd be a great fit.
> >
> > Jessica, if you'd be interested in co-giving a "Diversity in Practice"
> > talk for Open Source Bridge, similar to our PyCon talk, I'd love that. I
> > think some slight adjustments would be necessary in the outline, and I'll
> > sketch that out in a moment.
>
> Also, Jessica, if you'd be interested in turning your PyCon poster on making
> projects good for newcomers, including the Twisted High Scores list, into
> a talk, that would like rule.
>
> I'm drafting (slowly but surely) here: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/open-source-bridge
>
> others' drafts welcome!

Okay, here's how things seem to me now. This is my current thinking; I'm
quite interested in others' thoughts, proposals, and strategies. My goal
is to have successful stories and tips on newcomer-oriented outreach be
well-represented at Open Source Bridge, and to have that be especially true
of OpenHatchy events and individuals.

0. 45 minutes are a very long "short" talk duration

I had some trouble finding that many things to say about openhatch.org/missions/
that I talked about last year.

1. There are a whole lot of awesome talk proposals already:
http://opensourcebridge.org/events/2012/proposals?sort=submitted_at

Given that, we should probably aim to co-present with other friendly relevant
people. I joined Sumana's http://opensourcebridge.org/proposals/758 talk on
"Outreach Events: My Triumphs, My Mistakes" to talk about hackathons and
avoid forcing the conference committee to decide between us.

If we get accepted, I will mention how Open Source Comes to Campus has grown
and evolved, and also what I've learned from last year's and this year's
PyCon sprints.

2. Boston Python Workshop proposal, copied mostly from PyCon proposal

https://etherpad.mozilla.org/open-source-bridge-bpw

I added a tiny snippet about implications for FOSS communities generally.

3. Open Source Comes to Campus talk

I'm not sure if I'll be able to stretch this out to 45 minutes. Likely the
best way to do that is to spend more time contrasting our Open Source
Comes to Campus with other approaches.

Work in progress, co-editing welcome: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/open-source-bridge-campus