[OH-Publicity] 1st OH newsletter feedback and other contributions wanted

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Tue Jul 24 19:15:26 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Mike Linksvayer's message of Sat Jul 07 01:45:40 -0400 2012:
> Asheesh suggested in IRC that OH could use a newsletter. Here's a
> draft 1st issue. Preview at
> https://openhatch.org/blog/?p=1176&preview=true&preview_id=1176&public=1&nonce=de50ef8cea
> or plaintext below. Any form of feedback or other contribution would
> be appreciated and welcomed. :-)

Sorry this took me ages to get to!

Some feedback items:

* We/I should fix the blog theme so it doesn't look so weird, with the
  footer sticking out at the top. I'll work on that.

* "August 2012" at the start -- I think you mean August 2011?

* It could use a photo at the top. Maybe we can use a photo of the
  Jessica+Asheesh PyCon talk -- http://pyvideo.org/video/719/diversity-in-practice-how-the-boston-python-user/
  38:31? I'm trying to extract that now...

For the rest, it's somewhat terse, but that's your style, and you can
totally run with that.

We should make sure that we have a plan for how we distribute this.

* Tag in the blog (that's ready)

* Email...

so for email, either we can use the "announce" mailing list that is a Mailman
instance that we control, or we can use a service like CiviCRM that makes it
easier to track sending, and that has a slightly better UI for adding oneself
to the list.

And we could manually send the blog post to the list, or try to automate that.

Let's just do it manually, and stick with our current Mailman list for now, as
discussed on #openhatch.

As for identi.ca and Twitter, those get auto-updated when there's a new blog
post, so that seems solid.

So you fix the date, and I'll see if I can fix the theme and give you an image.
If you can come up with a different image, that'd be excellent too.

Then ship it.