[OH-Publicity] 1st OH newsletter feedback and other contributions wanted

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Sat Jul 7 05:45:40 UTC 2012

Asheesh suggested in IRC that OH could use a newsletter. Here's a
draft 1st issue. Preview at
https://openhatch.org/blog/?p=1176&preview=true&preview_id=1176&public=1&nonce=de50ef8cea
or plaintext below. Any form of feedback or other contribution would
be appreciated and welcomed. :-)

An obvious missing thing is external mentions like
http://ncona.com/2012/06/contributing-to-openhatch-project/ but I got
lazy and that's recent enough that it could go in the 2nd issue,
especially if the bug alluded to is fixed.

Mike

OpenHatch newsletter, July 2012

August 2012 the OpenHatch blog announced three big changes: transition
to nonprofit status, outreach events, and Asheesh Laroia as full-time
project lead.
https://openhatch.org/blog/2011/openhatch-gains-full-time-project-lead-transitioning-into-a-non-profit/

Since then, Asheesh and a large number of OpenHatch contributors have
been very busy. Browse or subscribe to http://openhatch.org/blog and
http://identi.ca/openhatch or http://twitter.com/openhatch to see and
keep up to date. Or, with a little more latency, read this newsletter
(you're reading the first issue now): mail [un]subscription at
http://lists.openhatch.org/mailman/listinfo/announce or
browse/subscribe to http://openhatch.org/blog/tag/newsletter

OpenHatch ideas spreading

"Jessica [McKellar] and Asheesh’s presentation changed our whole
outlook on what is possible for the Boston Ruby community. In 40
minutes, they opened our eyes to how we were stunting ourselves as a
community and excited us by laying out such a clear, practical, and
feasible outreach strategy that we could follow to change things
dramatically in a short period of time."
--Daniel Choi of Boston Ruby
https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/the-steps-boston-ruby-is-taking-to-become-friendly-to-beginners/

Watch Jessica and Asheesh's presentation at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrITN6GZDu4 with further presentation
background at https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/the-boston-python-workshop-at-pycon-2012/

Events

At PyCon 2012 (venue for above presentation) 10 people worked on
OpenHatch tools
https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/ten-contributors-hacked-oh-during-pycon-sprints/

OpenHatch again sprinted in May, also thanks to Python Software
Foundation support https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/may-sprint/

Our most recent campus event was at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/openhatch-goes-to-rpi-concluding-our-spring-2012-university-tour/
with special thanks to the Rensselaer Center for Open Source, Kitware,
and Nokia.

We're currently scheduling 2012-2013 academic year campus events; see
http://campus.openhatch.org/upcoming-events/ to have OpenHatch visit
your campus!

July 10-11 OpenHatch is helping run the two-day hackathon at Wikimania
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hackathon

Get involved

https://openhatch.org/wiki/Get_involved lists some ways to get
directly involved in OpenHatch, from helping newcomers to working on
OpenHatch tools to organizing an OpenHatch event to donating to
support our work ... https://openhatch.org/donate/ comes with the
non-profit organization territory. You can also use
https://openhatch.org/search/ to find volunteer opportunities with 319
different open source projects, including "bite-sized" bugs. Every
form of involvement is deeply appreciated and welcomed.

Finally, thanks to rsync.net for an ongoing in-kind donation
https://openhatch.org/blog/2012/thanking-rsync-net-for-donated-backup-space/