[Peers] 2013-2014 OpenHatch goals

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Oct 3 20:07:48 UTC 2013

As mentioned in
http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/peers/2013-October/000041.html ,
Shauna Gordon-McKeon and I were chatting recently about what we do at
OpenHatch and putting it into priority order. The exercise is to imagine,
if we have very little time or resources (or if things take longer than we
think), what are the things that are essential for us to definitely do?

We came up with following list of priorities, sorted where top is the most
important.

(OSCTC stands for "Open Source Comes to Campus";
http://campus.openhatch.org/ says more about it.)

* Promoting + evaluating cloned (i.e., run by others) OSCTC events

* Infrastructure – website, email, IRC running

* OpenHatch-affiliated projects (meaning, having guidelines for projects
that want to have students work on their bugs during Open Source Comes to
Campus)

* General curriculum development for OSCTC

* Fundraising + promotion

* Community maintenance (e.g. staying in touch with past attendees, IRC)

* Running our own OSCTC events

* Online open source involvement tools

* Python outreach events and/or topic-specific OSCTCs

It's worth remarking that making the Open Source Comes to Campus events be
great, and be widely run by people who aren't us, is the focus, and web
tech would take a backseat in this plan.

This isn't to say that people shouldn't work on web tech -- to the
contrary, if you want to, you should! It's just that Shauna and I at least
will have our hands fairly full if we just try to do really well at our
Open Source Comes to Campus goals.

You can visit
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rJoligMSQcYlXDzE1xKhrSp7sKjNIMB0-DLVaN5Dxgk/
for more information about what the headings entail.

We're going to proceed as if this is a reasonble prioritization, but you
can always pipe up and share your thoughts. We'd love to have more
thoughts.

If you accept this prioritization, you might be interested in the amount
of time we think the sub-tasks there would take, visible here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoHP1ey91UqPdDR6TmpUY3hHNXo3dFNsSmM3cXk3dFE

If you accept those hour amounts, then you might be curious, "How much
would it cost?" At the same rate we pay Shauna now, if (say) she were to
paid to do all of this work, and we had no executive director, and we no
one else volunteers to help out with this amazing plan, and the time
estimates are right, then $22,940 is the answer. (We can set a rule that
travel must be paid for externally, e.g. by a college if we're headed to
them.) You could add 50% on the assumption that time estimates are always
lower than they should be, in which case you get to $34,500.

I don't have full numbers at the moment, and I can work to provide those
when I'm not still traveling (currently in Minnesota), but I think it is
safe to estimate that our other overhead expenses are (way) less than
$10,000.

So if we like this plan, as what we aim to do with OpenHatch funds in 2014
-- focus on further polishing of Open Source Comes to Campus and getting
the events to scale by having other people run them -- then we need about
$45,000 between now and the end of 2014. If our estimates are right we can
actually do OK with $33,000, but you know, estimates. And if we work
faster than we expected, or have more money than we expected, we can do
more. (I'm especially excited about just funding more things down that
plan. Basically at the moment we only plan to fund OSCTC things.)

Shauna and I will keep working on a fundraising plan to get there, but I
wanted to share this much right now. (The fundraising plan is important
because we're dangerously close to zero at the moment, not just because we
should also be sure to plan well for 2014.)

-- Asheesh.