[Peers] Rough sketch of products

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Sep 7 02:42:52 UTC 2011

Right now, OpenHatch is doing some things. Which things?

To answer that, here is a quick summary of the "products" we currently
offer. Michael Stone suggested I write this up, and I wanted to get his
feedback and also let everyone on the list join in the conversation.

1 Campus outreach events

The opportunity here is that there are lots of students at universities
who have the technical skills to get involved in free software, but don't
learn in class how to interact with the community.

Evidence indicates that there is enthusiasm among students for events like
this, and urban legend in free software suggests that university students
are in a good position of desire to learn, the availability of spare time,
and support resources that make them good contributors to free software.

Early versions of this product focused solely on the experience of the
attendee. I believe that future iterations must see the campus computing
group as the customer as well; we can help those groups grow in numbers
through our outreach event. By partnering with the campus computing group,
we also identify a community for our event attendees to join.

The value of this product is first, to the free software community as a
whole: the hope of bringing more people into free software. It teaches the
attendees the skills they need to contribute; they might use these as
volunteers contributing to free software for fun, or it might simply learn
the skills they need to participate from time to time when their future
software engineer position requires them to communicate with an open
source community.

2 Volunteer opportunity finder

This is a product we offer to people who want to contribute to free
software. In particular, if you know your skills and you know you want to
help, this tool lets you browse available entry points in free software
projects by the skills.

The opportunity here is that many prospective contributors to free
software ask, how can I contribute? What projects need my help?

People find value in a volunteer opportunity finder when they find a good
task to work through it; the secondary audience, project maintainers, find
value when new contributors show up to their projects.

3 newcomer friendly event calendar

This is a product we offer to people who want to contribute to free
software. It lists events in free software projects or in free software in
general that welcome new contributors.

The opportunity here is that we can open the doors to existing communities
that are open, but where many people in the world do not know how open
those communities are. This is especially applicable to development
meetings that take place on the IRC channels. We also want to highlight
in-person events for new contributors.

The recipient of this product receives value when he or she arrives at a
community and sees that it is active, and through the conversation with
that community discovers how he or she can become involved.

This product also integrates nicely with the campus outreach events; we
can invite attendees of those events to these online communities.

4 Project pages on the openhatch site

This is a product offered to people who want to contribute to a particular
software program, but do not know how. We make that possible by showing
product maintainers a set of questions that get them into thinking about
how people can help them.

The opportunity here is that, by seeing a person's description of what
work the project needs, somebody will feel, “I could do that!” This is why
the project page asks questions we believe evoke a human characteristic in
their answers.

The value to the project maintainers is that there is a chance that a new
contributor will come to the project through the project page. We have
already seen this in the case of geeklog. Similarly, people who have
skills to contribute to free software in ways that are not usually encoded
as bug reports will feel more included by reading about how they are
needed.

5 Diversity outreach events for meet up groups

The product here is diversity outreach events that invite members of the
public who are part of underrepresented groups to attend the meet up, and
strategies to integrate those new people with the existing meet up
community.

The customer is either an attendee or an organizer of the meet up event.

The opportunity here is that by changing the face of the these highly
visible technical communities, we increase the chance that new people
coming to that community will find people who seem like them. We believe
that this will increase retention within technical communities of people
who are generally underrepresented.

The value to meet up is that, in every case we have asked, organizers and
attendees of these events wants to have more diverse attendee pool.

6 Web forums within OpenHatch

The Product here is that users of the OpenHatch site, and prospective free
software contributors in general, can discuss the site and our community
without needing to use a mailing list.

The opportunity here is that OpenHatch gets more feedback from people
about the site and about free software in general.

The value to users of the forum is that they can communicate with website
maintainers and new, friendly people who like helping people get involved
in free software projects.

7 Training missions

We offer interactive learning tools to prospective contributors to free
software projects. One way that people learn that they should use the
training missions inside the recommended them from a project that needs
contributors have the skills that the training missions teach.

The opportunity here is that by creating this safe clear space for people
to learn the skills, we make it easier for people who are less sure of
themselves to become contributors. People who learn how to contribute to
free software by going to the tutorials can probably skip some of the
painful learning process that most contributors go through. the result
should be a community that grows faster, where more people are more
skilled quicker.