[Pdxpw-staff] notes on editor choice

Emily Strickland emily at zubon.org
Sun Jul 8 17:42:32 UTC 2012

I was just reading this post and the comments espousing IDLE. I hope it's fine if I continue the discussion in this thread among us staffers.

I hate IDLE. I cannot imagine any dev candidate where I work saying they use or ever used IDLE. Probably the reason for my especial hate was, when my friend Shawna was picking up Python, IDLE threw her for a loop. It has a quite unintuitive interface. I had to actually show her (in a menu) how to get to an editor rather than an interactive console.

I feel Sublime Text 2 is the best bet. Yes, it costs, but it seriously *only* nags occasionally, in perpetuity (I still haven't paid for it), and it's amazing and a respectable, beautiful tool that works identically cross-platform.

I'd be interested in hearing reasons we shouldn't recommend this awesome tool. It comes even with the cachet of being used by *real devs*. We're not just suggesting a text editor in recommending Sublime; we're passing along a part of dev culture.