[OSCTC-planning] schools to contact for this fall

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 20:38:42 UTC 2014

I'm getting ready to contact/re-contact schools re: running events this
fall, and in the spirit of transparency I thought I'd share my planning
process.

Our goal is to run 15 events this fall, ideally 5 on each of the three
weekends we've selected.  My experience last semester was that for every 2
schools I contacted, 1 ended up running an event.  This suggests we should
contact 30 schools.

>From my big list of schools I've identified:

17 schools we've been in active conversation with recently.  Of these, I
judge 9 as likely and 8 as unlikely.

10 schools that have run past events that might want to run an event this
semester.

15 additional schools we've been in contact with further in the past or
less formally.

This is already 42 schools, or more than the 30 we're aiming for.

Additionally, I would like to do some more targeted diversity outreach.
Specifically, I'd like to do more events at women-only schools, community
colleges, and schools that serve primarily under-represented populations.
 I have friends who are faculty at two schools (Bunker Hill Community
College and CUNY Baruch) who I want to follow up with, at least, but I
would like to do more.

I am tempted to go ahead and contact all of them.  It's possible that the
more restricted schedule means that we'll get a lower % of contacted
schools running events. But perhaps this is a terrible plan?  If we somehow
got 30 schools wanting to run an event that would be pretty overwhelming.

Thoughts?  Advice?  Suggestions for schools to contact on the diversity
outreach front?

~ Shauna