[OSCTC-planning] Getting the diversity language right, on the new campus.openhatch.org

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 06:14:37 UTC 2014

*Open source can do more to make the world a better place with more*
*contributors.*

What does this mean?  Is "more contributors" an inherent part of making the
world a better place?  A causal part?  Do you mean, "Open source can do
more to make the world a better place through encouraging broader
contributions."?

*To get there, we are excited to make open source*

*communities more diverse and more welcoming to newcomers. We believethese
can be mutually re-enforcing. *

It's not 100% clear from this statement that you mean that "making
communities more diverse" and "making them more welcoming to newcomers" are
mutually reinforcing.  It might need a slight reword.

*That's why, from our
<ahref="https://opensource.com/life/10/11/introducing-students-world-open-source-day-1
<https://opensource.com/life/10/11/introducing-students-world-open-source-day-1>">firstevent</a>,
we've striven to make Open Source Comes to Campusnewcomer-friendly and have
worked with partners such aswomen-in-computing organizations to ensure
diverse participation.*

"Ensure" sounds misleading, given that we have in fact had low-diversity
events.

*We're committed to newcomer-friendliness, diversity outreach,
andcontinuous improvement, and we aim to spread this mindset to as manyopen
source communities as possible.*

I like this line!  Just thought I'd say so, since everything else I've been
saying is critical.

*

Okay, here's another attempt by me.  I will do my best to emulate Asheesh's
earnestness.  This is also on the etherpad.

*We believe in the power of open source to make the world a better place.
 We also believe that open source needs a broad and diverse group of
contributors and community members to do so.  We're doing our best to make
open source communities more diverse and more welcoming to newcomers - two
mutually reinforcing goals.  Ever since our <a
href="https://opensource.com/life/10/11/introducing-students-world-open-source-day-1
<https://opensource.com/life/10/11/introducing-students-world-open-source-day-1>">first
event</a>, we've worked to make Open Source Comes to Campus events fun,
safe, and newcomer-friendly and have worked with partners such as
women-in-computing organizations to attract diverse participation.  We're
commited to these goals, as well as to continuous improvement, and we hope
you'll join us in our efforts.  *