[OSCTC-planning] mentorship and other ways to follow up with Open Source Comes to Campus attendees

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 18:08:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Heidi Ellis <ellis at wne.edu> wrote:

>  Hi Shauna,
>

> I like this idea a lot!  The one thing that wasn’t clear until the end of
> the email is that the pairing is once for a specific amount of time, not a
> longer-term pairing.
>

> Google is having some of their female employees mentor high school
> students. They have a system where each employee has a picture, brief bio
> and list of skills. The high school (or other) students can contact them
> directly. Sort of a “gallery of experts”.  This might be a long-term goal
> as it would reduce your overhead in having to pair folks.

I agree that the system I proposed is probably not the most efficient for
me to coordinate.  That said, I do think that some people who would like to
pair would feel shy about asking directly, so I want a way to facilitate
them finding mentors.

(Just yesterday I convinced a friend that we should pair.  She was fairly
resistant but when we talked through her hesitation, it became clear that
she thought it would waste my time or be a burden for me.  I think we
should make clear in the language when folks sign up that the people
they're pairing with are just as excited and happy to pair as they are.
 Possibly with some quotes from people about how much they love mentoring
and teaching people things.)