[mpw-staff] What would you put on 1GB thumbdrives for a workshop?

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 01:12:11 UTC 2012

We should see what's required for
http://openhatch.org/wiki/Boston_Python_Workshop_5/Saturday_projects -
though, really, getting students comfortable using easy_install (or
pip, whatever) is probably really important, too.

We could do a
wget \
     --recursive \
     --page-requisites \
     --adjust-extension \
     --convert-links \
     --restrict-file-names=windows \
     --domains openhatch.org \
     --no-parent \
     http://openhatch.org/wiki/Boston_Python_Workshop_5

... that assumes we're not going to change anything... although,
honestly, I don't see what you'd change!

A weblink to http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide - I always
think it's a shame that page isn't more prominent at python.org.

I'm working right now on a 2-hour vPython-based class a week from
Saturday - loosely based on my infamous "destroy the solar system"
Python intro - which could conceivably be developed into a fourth
project option, but I don't know if I'll get that far (or if it will
prove suitable once I dig into it).

Portable Python sounds perfect!  Sad that it's Windows-only, but that
will probably cover most of our true novices anyway.

I like your text suggestions!  The only possible addition I can think
of is the Python Koans.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com> wrote:
> One of the local companies here in Indianapolis has offered to donate 50 1GB
> thumbdrives for the first Indy Python Workshop. We need to figure out what
> to put on there.
>
> Some ideas:
>
> * http://portablepython.com/ (the version based on Python 2.7.2, unless
> there's a compelling reason to teach Python 3.x, though for a beginner
> workshop it probably doesn't matter -- as a side note, this only works on
> Windows, but Linux/Mac would likely already have Python installed.)
>
> * A few documentation/reference files, all open content (would include
> pdfs):
> ** http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/index.html -- for beginners
> ** http://docs.python.org/download.html -- all the python 2.7.2 docs
> ** http://www.diveintopython.net/ -- for slightly more advanced programmers