[mpw-staff] Cloning the Python workshop for Women in the midwest...

Jessica McKellar jessica.mckellar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 18:46:53 UTC 2012

Hi Catherine,

> TA's would be good, to circulate and help students out, so we could
> definitely use some of those from IndyPy,

In our experience you want a 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 ratio of attendees to
staffers during peak question times (Friday night and during
projects).

>  but... do you think that
> having men as TA's would change the mood of the workshop? I don't
> know that IndyPy actually has *any* women members (yet - all the more
> reason to do the workshop).  And/or are there other staff roles to
> involve them in?

We definitely have men help out. They are friends who we know are good
with beginners and will promote a comfortable and welcoming tone for
the event. We try to make sure the lecture and projects are led by
women.

-Jessica