[mpw-staff] post-workshop notes

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sun Apr 15 00:12:51 UTC 2012

Phew! That... was awesome. Notes from Steak & Shake, as promised. I'm...
I need a nap.

* Nikitha wants to join the crew - just added her to the mailing list,
welcome!

* Tweet and market and blog up a storm more, do more PR, get attendees
to do it too!

* CodingBat (made by a Stanford prof) is not open-source. Sadface.

* Hold the next midwestern python workshop... where? ChiPy? Purdue? Indy
again? Dayton? (Focus on different kinds of inclusiveness and diversity?)

* Project selection: note that Boston workshop attendees are usually
avid twitter fans, but we had people here who didn't know what tweeting
was! Different things for different audiences?

* Another difference from Boston: less of a tech hub, more
geographically spread out (attendees represented at least 3 different
regional Python groups that are all far smaller than Boston)

* Awesome attendees, and good stories to tell
** women re-entering the workforce
** a mom who wanted to know what her (engineering) son and (IT) husband did
** father-daughter pairs (we had 2)

* Follow-ups to a beginner workshop:
** for researchers who already know how to code:
http://software-carpentry.org
** an intermediate python workshop as a follow-up for alumni;
station-based rotations (github station, matplotlib station, databases
station, etc)