[mpw-staff] initial survey feedback

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sun Apr 15 00:00:43 UTC 2012

We have a few responses to the survey already (textdump with awful
formatting, but...) thought folks might like to get a quick look.

---

4/14/2012 16:22:46	I was encouraged by two enthusiast to attend the
workshop (Mel and Nikitha). Also the workshop was FREE and I had a RIDE
(because I don't have car). Another reason this workshop was appealing
is because I was told that Python is the most "user friendly" type of
language where the code is almost like "English".	I took once C++ class
8 years ago and hated it. :)	I do intend to use Python in the future.
I'm not sure how yet, but I know it will be affiliated with my grad
research. Also, I found the charts and music tools that were displayed
very useful. If I could use programming to make my research and work my
efficient that would be amaaaazing. I think I'll spend a little time
playing with Python this summer for research purposes. Yes, I kind of
know what to do next, but I will need to talk to other friends of mine
that use Python network here.	No topics really. I just need to know how
not to get burned out. I had a headache at the end of the day and I
think it is the monitor, glare, size font, not sure.	 The twitter
project was challenging, but something I can take home and understand
more. I have enough information to keep going basically.	I really
enjoyed the hosts (Jessica, Mel, and Catherine). Everyone was
approachable, helpful ---but didn't give away the answers to any of the
projects. Thank you!	The mini projects were very helpful and I felt some
form of accomplishment.

4/14/2012 16:37:53	The ability to learn in an environment with other
beginning users 	Very basic html knowledge	I do plan on continuing to
learn Python. My next step is to continue focusing on the fundamentals
and review the tutorials exercises used over the past couple of days.
While I worked through all of the tutorials I'm still very apprehensive,
but I tend to learn through repetition so I suspect I will gain
confidence after practicing more. I do feel the workshop gave a lot of
resources and support. 	I don't know that I would have wanted,
definitely not more, I think the amount was well. For me personally it
was a little much however I think generally it worked well for
everyone. 	I really enjoyed the projects and thought they reinforced the
tutorials well. I am very excited about learning more. The only thing I
disliked was something feeling a little rushed or behind, but that is
more because I just take a little more time to comprehend. 	The
instructors were amazing. I also like having the tutorial pre-made and
all in one spot. 	Very helpful -  I like that it displays hints and
confirms once code is correct. 	Jessica, Catherine and Mel were AMAZING.
I really encourage these to continue and look forward to this driving
more growth of Python knowledge and representation of women in the the
field.

4/14/2012 19:04:30	I've always wanted to learn how to program, and the
workshop sounded like the perfect place to start.	Very little. 	Yes, I
hope to start using python to make 3D graphics and animation.	I think it
was all perfect!	I liked them all! 	Learning new ways to use python
besides software engineering. 	The CodingBat