[mpw-staff] Fwd: Indianapolis Python Workshop sponsorship (name on check)

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Thu Apr 5 21:05:49 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Catherine Devlin's message of Thu Apr 05 15:57:56 -0400 2012:
> Oh, gosh.  Here's something I *really* should have thought out in
> advance.  Brad has stepped up as the childcare sponsor, and I don't
> know how to receive his money.
>
> I don't mind handling the money directly (and will scan all my
> receipts, post them, etc.) - that's what I did for the first two years
> of PyOhio - but I still feel like we'd be on more solid ground having
> an organization receive money.  Calvin, can IndyPy do things like cash
> checks?  Failing that, would it be too weird to ask Boston Python to
> do it?

Boston Python isn't an organization, but I think it has permission from
the Python Software Foundation to send/receive money.

In this case, would it work to have Brad just pay the childcare service
directly? At first it might sound odd to Brad, but if you don't plan to
retain any of the money from the childcare sponsorship level, that's the
easiest thing, and I imagine he would be amenable.

I would personally advise against being a financial intermediary for this
sort of thing if possible, since then you end up (in theory) with some
tax liability.

If that doesn't work, and/or you end up with a lot of checks in this
category etc., we can see if PSF or OpenHatch might be willing to handle
the money for you. It would put some burden on the treasurers of those
organizations, but it's definitely possible. I'd go the PSF route first,
as OpenHatch hasn't acted as a fiscal sponsor for anything like this
yet, as far as I know.

So -- can you ask him to just pay the chilcare bill, and let that be that?

-- Asheesh.