[mpw-staff] Fwd: Learn to program at the Boston Python Workshop, March 30th & 31st at MIT

Jessica McKellar jessica.mckellar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:44:24 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

Here's an example workshop e-mail pitch.

-Jessica

====

Hello SWIM officers,

I'd like to invite the women of SWIM to a free introductory
programming event for women running at MIT at the end of March. Can
you pass this event description along to your membership?

RSVPs are now open at http://meetup.bostonpython.com/events/56754812/.
The workshop's goal is to give women of all backgrounds an opportunity
to learn to program in a welcoming, beginner-friendly environment.
Basic programming skills are a fantastic skillset addition for folks
with a management background, so I hope to see many Sloan women at
this event!

Regards,
-Jessica

===

What: A project-driven introduction to Python for women and their friends
When: Friday, March 30th, 6pm-9pm, and Saturday, March 31st, 9:30am-4:30pm
Where: MIT, room 4-237
RSVP: http://meetup.bostonpython.com/events/56754812/

--

Learn to program at the Boston Python Workshop, March 30th & 31st at MIT.

The Boston Python Workshop is a free, weekend-long introductory
programming event for women using the Python programming language. No
prior programming experience is required! Learn and practice
programming fundamentals through fun projects like building a Twitter
client and cheating at Words with Friends. The workshop is run by
women from the Boston programming and open source communities.

Below is the full event description. To RSVP, first join the Boston
Python user group at http://bostonpython.com and then RSVP for the
event at http://meetup.bostonpython.com/events/56754812/.

This workshop is hands-down the best event in Boston for learning to
program in a supportive, beginner-friendly environment. While the
focus is on women, men are welcome to attend as guests.

===

Learn and practice Python basics with this project-driven workshop!

Audience: Women and their friends who have no or limited programming
experience. This event is welcoming and respectful of trans women. Men
are welcome as guests of women who are attending (please RSVP as
well).

On Friday evening you'll set up your development environment and start
learning Python through a self-directed tutorial and online practice
problems.

On Saturday we'll spend the morning on a lecture-based introduction to
the language, taking breaks to practice concepts on bite-sized
exercises. In the afternoon we'll break out into groups to practice
Python through short projects on a variety of fun and practical
topics.

Check out photos and feedback from our previous workshops:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bostonpythonworkshop

You must be able to attend both days of the workshop to participate.

Our goal is to provide an environment in which women can develop their
programming skills with confidence. Our staff are women from the
Boston programming and open source communities.

See the Workshop wiki for more information on laptop setup, lecture
material, and the projects, as well as workshop logistics including
parking and childcare:
http://openhatch.org/wiki/Boston_Python_Workshop_6

Venue details

MIT is hosting this event. We'll be in room 4-237 for both days of the
event. See the venue section of the wiki for directions and a map.

Friday evening (3/30): laptop setup and first steps with Python

6pm to 9pm: set up your development environment and start learning Python.
Things to bring: a wireless-enabled laptop.

Saturday (3/31): lecture and projects

9:30am - 10am: settle in and review Friday's material.
10am - Noon: welcome and lecture-based introduction to Python with
hands-on practice.
Noon - 1pm: lunch, provided by us! If you have dietary restrictions,
please e-mail us as you RSVP.
1pm - 4pm: projects!
4pm - 4:30pm: wrap-up and next steps.
Things to bring: the same wireless-enabled laptop from Friday.

Saturday projects:

Using the Twitter API to write parts of a Twitter client.
Wordplay and how to cheat at Words with Friends.
Programming graphical effects for a ColorWall.