[Foss-outreach-la] Welcome to the organizing group for open source outreach events in LA!

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 18:50:48 UTC 2014

Glad to hear from you, Miguel.  :)

> B) My dream for an open source education event would be introductions into
> the open source community via hackathons in the inner-city (South LA, East
> LA, etc.) aimed at youth, minorities of all kinds & even for the elderly
> (I studied Gerontology in college & did Alzheimers research so I don't
> want us to forget about the aged). It could be held at schools, colleges
> or community centers. LA now being over 50% Spanish-speakers, I've got
> some ideas to engage this traditionally underrepresented group, as well.

I'm curious what you like about hackathons.  I've found them to be a mixed
bag myself -- I think the best ones focus on skill-building and
community-building, not on product-building.  I'm happy to talk with you
about changing around Open Source Comes to Campus's structure to better fit
a hackathon style if that's what you prefer.

Also, I've said this before but it's worth reiterating: just because we
focus on college students doesn't mean we're uninterested in reaching a
broader range of folks.

> C) Having organized quite a few events over the years, I'd be happy to be
> an organizer & a mentor. However, I'm terrible at asking sponsors for
> money so I usually leave that job to others. Considering that OpenHatch
> would be organizing this as well, not sure how much of that is needed.
> Being here in LA, I'm very interested in getting together with folks on
> this list & brainstorming ideas on what type of event would touch on
> everyone's passion points, pool our resources/contacts together & make an
> awesome event that can serve as a model for future events of its kind
> here.

You definitely don't have to ask people for money if you don't want to.  At
OpenHatch we usually try to find local and/or corporate sponsors rather
than cover the cost of events ourselves, but we do have a backup fund as
well.

My sense is it's best to start planning an event, and then as folks see
ways they can help or changes they'd like to make, they can get involved
and/or start planning follow-up events. So if you're interested an
organizing - let's get started organizing an event!  :)

- Shauna