[Foss-outreach-la] Welcome to the organizing group for open source outreach events in LA!

miguel at openmindz.net miguel at openmindz.net
Wed Aug 13 04:02:42 UTC 2014

Hello everyone.

I could've sworn I'd filled this out already but when I came to look for
any updates I realized I hadn't. Dang. Well, here goes.

A) My name is Miguel Hernandez. I've been working in tech & working to
bridge the Digital Divide for 20 years. I've been a part of the open
source community for 15 years, have contributed to many open source
projects for the last 10 & have organized many open-source based tech
meetups/conferences/hackathons (in both English & Spanish) for the last 5.
I'm a public speaker on the topics of Open Source, Test-Driven Development
(TDD/BDD) & startups. I'm very active in LA's startup ecosystem but have
been disappointed in the lack of investment for builders/makers/geeks in
the inner-city & for minorities of all kinds. I donate a lot of my time to
mentoring youth & folks in the inner-city. I'm a Web Developer,
specializing in Drupal, with a long history of Software QA.

B) My dream for an open source education event would be introductions into
the open source community via hackathons in the inner-city (South LA, East
LA, etc.) aimed at youth, minorities of all kinds & even for the elderly
(I studied Gerontology in college & did Alzheimers research so I don't
want us to forget about the aged). It could be held at schools, colleges
or community centers. LA now being over 50% Spanish-speakers, I've got
some ideas to engage this traditionally underrepresented group, as well.

C) Having organized quite a few events over the years, I'd be happy to be
an organizer & a mentor. However, I'm terrible at asking sponsors for
money so I usually leave that job to others. Considering that OpenHatch
would be organizing this as well, not sure how much of that is needed.
Being here in LA, I'm very interested in getting together with folks on
this list & brainstorming ideas on what type of event would touch on
everyone's passion points, pool our resources/contacts together & make an
awesome event that can serve as a model for future events of its kind
here.

Ok. That was entirely way too long. Sorry about that. Looking forward to
hearing from more of you.

Cheers.

Miguel Hernandez
Founder & CEO