[Foss-outreach-la] Welcome to the organizing group for open source outreach events in LA!

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 17:49:15 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

This is Shauna Gordon-McKeon of OpenHatch.  We met at SCaLE in February and
talked about Open Source Comes to Campus <http://campus.openhatch.org/>,
and about running open source education/outreach events in the LA area.  As
I mentioned to many of you, I want to put you all in touch with each other,
so we can work together to make these events a reality.

I'd love it if folks could introduce themselves by saying:

A) who they are and, if they'd like, what they do/what their background is
B) what their dreams are for an open source education event (where?  what
size?  aimed at who?)
C) in what capacity they'd like to be involved (organizer, volunteer
mentor, attendee, etc)

I'll start:

A) I'm Shauna Gordon-McKeon.  I work at OpenHatch and run our Open Source
Comes to Campus <http://campus.openhatch.org/> event series.  I've got a
particular interest in FOSS for scientists and FOSS built to serve
humanitarian/social justice purposes.

B)  I'd love to see us run multiple events in the area, and to be part
of/grow the ongoing FOSS community in the area.  We're very open to
adapting our curriculum for high school students or other groups, and we've
also been experimenting with running both shorter and longer events.
 Basically, we want to do what works for you.  I am especially excited
about reaching out into new communities and reaching more underrepresented
groups.

C)  I live in Boston, so I won't be able to attend most events but I can
help with most aspects of planning.  I can be available remotely for most
events, and may even be able to attend a couple (I may come back to the LA
area either around Grace Hopper (August) or SCaLE next year).

It was a pleasure to meet all of you last weekend, and I'm looking forward
to working with you.  :)

- Shauna