[Events] The Supreme Chi-Town Coding Crew Manifesto needs your input

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 19:34:42 UTC 2014

Hi David,

The manifesto looks great!  Here are my reactions to it and to your
questions:

>From the manifesto:

*>  We welcome anyone who meets basic requirements and wants to learn.*

What are the basic requirements?  I can see someone reading this and
assuming the basic requirements are something they don't have.

*> Learning to make web sites and applications requires access to some
basic resources. We steer new participants without these > resources to
places and programs where they can get a free or cheap laptop, learn basic
computer literacy, and obtain adequate > Internet access.*

This part is especially fantastic.  I recommend sharing a link to this
information in the post so other groups can adapt it.

*> Learning software development is an overwhelmingly popular subject. We
aim to keep our group small while hatching new   projects and working with
similar groups around the world.*

This is another section that could come off as exclusionary.  I'm not sure
if that's your intention.

Generally I think the manifesto could use a little bit of internal
structure, but then I love internal structure more than is probably
reasonable.

*> What kind of structure supports doing good work, getting paid decently,
and creating the world we want to see? As you will see in the comments I
don't believe the hackathon model is up to the task.*

This is a complicated question.  Would you mind elaborating a bit about
your particular situation and goals?  I think that would help me/us provide
better feedback.

Generally, I agree with you that the hackathon model is generally not a
good one.  Which is unfortunate, since they only seem to be getting more
popular.  I think it's because hackathons are easy - you don't have to
engage with these kinds of deep questions about diversity, impact,
sustainability.  The hacked version of a hackathon which focuses on
training/education, on sharing diverse perspectives, and on
community-building (different from networking) but even then I think there
are better options.