[Events] Strategies for getting information from venue hosts

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Fri Nov 22 17:54:25 UTC 2013

I have always obsessed over making questions easy to answer, generally yes/no.
I am fairly certain that is not what is causing me problems.  Maybe
sometimes, maybe more than I think, but I really really doubt it
accounts for all of the snafu.

Your examples may be good for your cases, but they don't apply to me.
we don't print, I am not traveling, I am not getting speakers.. or any
other reasonable explanation.  The reality is "I am asking now because
I am sure if I don't you won't ever get around to telling me."

More about the reality - The meeting is Thurs at 7pm.  around 3pm I
stop what I am doing and start loading stuff into my car.   That is
the deadline for knowing what I need to pack.  4:30 is about when I
want to leave, that is when I need to know where I am going.

I can bluf and say "I need to know if you have a PA system by Tueday
night or I am not going to bring one"  but that's really a lie.  I
need to know by about 4pm Thurs and if something calls me as I am
packing, I will take the extra time to pack a PA system.  It's not
like I am going to throw a tantrum and make everyone suffer because
they didn't tell me by some artificial deadline.