[Events] Summer of Meta Mentorship in GSoC

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu May 30 02:26:41 UTC 2013

Howdy all,

(Background: GSoC refers to Google Summer of Code, which you can read
about at http://www.google-melange.com/ .)

I want to see GSoC mentors be better-equipped to handle their students
during GSoC. So I want to try doing an optional meta-mentorship program
within GSoC, where we help GSoC mentors be better mentors by connecting
them with experienced mentors to answer questions, other current GSoC
mentors to help them bounce ideas off, and thinking-aloud tools to help
them reason through how to deal with their students.

I've written up a plan at https://etherpad.mozilla.org/somm ; I consider
it "first draft" quality. Thanks to Michael Stone for his help getting to
first draft quality! I'm also attaching its current state as a text file.
Therefore, feel very free to to edit the Etherpad document.

We need to fix it in the following ways:

* State more clearly what results we expect (this also helps us perform
power analysis, i.e. evaluate the experiment for statistical power)

* Decide if we want a pure control group (I think it is okay not to have
one, since we want in this case everyone to get what we think is a
beneficial treatment)

* Get someone who has some feeling for what is ethical in studies like
this to make a personal (not necessarily official) statement about that

* Work out the resource dependencies listed in the document.

Shauna, I'd love your thoughts. Having read
http://www.shaunagm.net/blog/2011/10/results-blind-reviewing-a-solution-for-publication-bias/
, it seems to me we should get as far as we can to writing an actual
paper, with a results and methods section, before the study terminates,
preferably before it begins.

After reading http://mstone.info/posts/willpower-20130421/ and
http://www.shaunagm.net/blog/2012/02/degrees-of-freedom-arent-free/, it is
also clear we should use the Simmons experiment quality checklist here.

Mako, you often have feelings about study design; I'd love to hear your
thoughts here, too.

Really, anyone on this list -- I'd love feedback. On-list is preferable to
keep it all in the same place, but if people want to email me off-list or
get in touch via #openhatch IRC or private message or whatever, that is
fine; I can work to summarize the updates on this list and credit you or
not, at your option.

Also, if there some non-me person interested in helping run (or running!)
this experiment under the OpenHatch banner -- for example, making sure we
get the plan more well written, making sure the code to send out chapters
of the book work properly, and so on, I would mega love if you would join
in!